WineLib and DLLs (Winedump)

steve.lustbader at steve.lustbader at
Wed Sep 18 13:57:30 CDT 2002

The README section on inserting the stub dll into the wine tree
seems a little out-dated.  It tells me to run autoconf, but
autoconf complains that it cannot find - is this
step still needed?

If I skip autoconf (which may be causing this problem), when
I run make depend I get:

cd `dirname dlls/__depend__` && make depend
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/stevenlu/wine/dlls'
cd `dirname errh_auto/__depend__` && make depend
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/stevenlu/wine/dlls/errh_auto'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `depend'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/stevenlu/wine/dlls/errh_auto'
make[1]: *** [errh_auto/__depend__] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/stevenlu/wine/dlls'
make: *** [dlls/__depend__] Error 2

I ran the install script that winedump produced, but maybe that's
not up-to-date with respect to the current wine build process?
Or am I just doing something else wrong?

                      Jon Griffiths
                      <jon_p_griffiths             To:  Steven Edwards <steven_ed4153 at>
            >                  cc:  wine-devel at
                      Sent by:                      (bcc: Steve Lustbader/ANR/MS/PHILIPS)
                      wine-devel-admin             Subject:   Re: WineLib and DLLs
                      09/12/2002 05:58
                      Please respond

>I'm writing a WineLib DLL that makes calls in my own Windows DLLs
>(not Wine's DLLs).  I have the header files for those DLLs, and the
>Windows binaries for them.  How do I link to them?  Do I need to
>them in spec files?  What do I need to put into my

look at tools/winedump. In spec mode it will generate everything you
need to link to this dll - a makefile and dummy implementation, spec
file and a script to insert it into your existing WINE tree (to link
with). The README gives instructions for exactly this case (and some
other more advanced ones).

"Don't wait for the seas to part, or messiahs to come;
 Don't you sit around and waste this chance..." - Live

jon_p_griffiths at

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! News - Today's headlines