[Controversial] Developper only CVS sandbox

Martin Wilck Martin.Wilck at Fujitsu-Siemens.com
Thu Sep 26 03:40:11 CDT 2002

Am Mit, 2002-09-25 um 23.35 schrieb Lionel Ulmer:

> That would be the best... But well, I never heard much good about CVS's
> prowess in handling branching (with all the mess like handling properly
> conflicts, precise branch management, ...).

I have never understood why people keep saying CVS can't do this.
After all, CVS was made for exactly that. It is easy to setup branches
and sub-branches, merge, etc., with CVS.

Every VC system is in trouble when merging branches that have diverged
for a long time and expose a lot of conflicts, until someone comes up
with an AI that understands what the different developers actually
meant. In this respect, CVS is exactly as smart as diff3.

Some systems may be better than CVS at this, admitted.
But as long as there are only a few branches and people keep their stuff
more or less in sync with main, I think it'd be fine - especially for
people working on relatively separate subtrees like D3D8.

Martin

--
Martin Wilck                Phone: +49 5251 8 15113
Fujitsu Siemens Computers   Fax:   +49 5251 8 20409