Using winbind with Wine

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at
Thu Sep 26 19:34:50 CDT 2002

Tim Potter wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 01:47:38PM +0200, Martin Wilck wrote:
> > To initiate this process we'd "only" need a standardized protocol for
> > the socket communication. Andrew said that doesn't exist and won't with
> > regard to winbind. I'd like to focus the discussion in this direction.
> >
> >  - is the winbind team willing to standardize the protocol, or at least
> >    ensure backward compatibility in future versions?
> There is a LGPL client library (well library is probably doing it more
> justice than it deserves) called wb_client.c which is used in the
> NSS modules that talk to winbindd.  I would think that would be a
> preferable way of talking to winbindd rather then rewriting code
> to talk the winbindd protocol.

The problem is that we don't ship it as a shared lib, and it still
expects the client program to fill in the winbind struct.  This is the
problem, becouse that struct changes shape regularly.

> >  - is the winbind team willing to add more RPC calls to the interface?
> Not unless they are related to authentication or user/group enumeration.

Agreed.  (However I am thinking of moving nss_wins in there soon too, to
match the IRIX code).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at