Printing with CUPS

Mason Kidd mrkidd at nettaxi.com
Fri Sep 27 15:13:37 CDT 2002

I'm having trouble printing using CUPS. When I try and print in notepad
I get a dialog saying:
Cannot print the Untitled file. Be sure that your printer is connected
properly and use Control Panel to verify that the printer is configured
properly.

My setup is Redhat 7.3 with the following CUPS packages:
cups-libs-1.1.14-15
cups-drivers-hpijs-1.1-0.20020313.3
cups-devel-1.1.14-15
cups-drivers-pnm2ppa-1.1-0.20020313.3
cups-1.1.14-15
cups-drivers-1.1-0.20020313.3

I am printing to a HP Laserjet 1100 using the "HP LaserJet 1100,
Foomatic + gimp-print" driver. This is setup to print using IPP to a
print server that is also running CUPS(same version). I have not
modified any of the printing or fonts options in the wine config file,
since the instructions say it is automatic. I am printing from Notepad.
Doing a trace of the PSDRV, it reads all of the AFM files and detects
the fonts ok. Also, during ParsePPD it finds all of the paper sizes
correctly. But then I get a message:

trace:psdrv:PSDRV_FindPrinterInfo No 'Paper Size' for printer 'hplj1100'
trace:psdrv:PSDRV_FindPrinterInfo No 'FontSubTable' for printer
'hplj1100'

And then when it tries to print:
trace:psdrv:PSDRV_CreateDC (WINEPS hplj1100 LPT1: (nil))
trace:psdrv:PSDRV_UpdateDevCaps ImageableArea = 0,0 - 0,0: PageSize =
0x0
trace:psdrv:PSDRV_UpdateDevCaps devcaps: horzSize = -2147483648mm,
vertSize = -2147483648mm, horzRes = 0, vertRes = 0

Which doesn't seem right. It then selects the pen and brush, and looks
like it will print, and the it calls DeleteDC. I have attached the full
trace, with +psdrv and +commdlg.

It really seems like it is almost working, but something is wrong with
the paper size. How can I find why it sets everything up and then
deletes the DC? Anyone have any ideas?

Mason Kidd