Debugger no more starting

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Sun Sep 29 23:57:14 CDT 2002

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:

> If I have a "Run command..." dialog which takes the command name,
> why should I know (and how), that in one I should type winedbg,
> and in another winedbg.exe? In fact, even DOS/Windows users are
> used to be able to specify the probram name _without_ the
> .exe/.bat/.cmd/.com/etc. extension. Why should they do any
> different in Wine?

They shouldn't. In almost all cases it will be completely transparent;
BTW "winedbg" works the same as "winedbg.exe", it's the explicit path
that is the problem. If you explicitly specify a full path to a Unix
script it will be launched as a Unix script. This will work fine, even
if the script starts a Winelib app, except if the app depends on
inheriting handles from the parent process, which is a *very* uncommon
case.

I believe the current behavior is a good compromise between being
Windows compatible and allowing to launch Unix apps. Some improvements
may be possible, but make sure you really understand how it works
first; the behavior is quite complex, precisely because we try to
always do the right thing.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com