gdi32 and wine

Rolf Kalbermatter rolf.kalbermatter at citeng.com
Fri Apr 4 12:31:56 CST 2003

KK singh <kk_singh at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > KK> I am not using any of these in native form...
>
> You *are* using such a dll. It's called...
>
> ATMLIB.DLL
>
> Find out, what dll or application requires this
> system
> component, which clearly will never work under Wine.

KK > **NEVER** is bit challenging !!!

I agree it is a strong statement, but probably not very
far from the truth.

KK > What if the required functions are implemented in
KK > gdi32.dll ?

Chances are very high that with every new function you implement
even as stub you just run into the next missing export! Also a
stub implementation may work for some functions, but more sooner
than later you end up with really bad functionality in the caller.

KK > This one seems to raise the issue of
KK > changing other builtin libraries, But some hack
KK > should exist.
KK > What if a builtin implementation of ATMLIB.dll is
KK > written, which doesnt use the missing functions.

Mmmh, are you proposing to write it? This library looks to me
like a full featured font type manager and then some. Does a
full API description exist at all? How big are the chances,
that implementing such a library will conflict sooner or
later with patents of some sort?
And you may be ending up reimplementing substantial parts of
things Ghostscript or similar packages already do.

Rolf Kalbermatter