Transient registry entries?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Apr 6 01:13:07 CST 2003

Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> I don't think we want to have 'magic' registry entries that are
> computed dynamically, at least not inside the normal branches. There
> are dynamic branches like HKEY_DYN_DATA where we will need that, but I
> think the rest should use the normal update mechanisms. For things
> like plugging in a new interface, there should already be callback
> scripts in Linux that you can hook into to set the corresponding
> registry key.

How about this:
   We will probably need to call getifaddrs() to populate
   the registry on startup.
   On Linux, some sort of hotplug system may be available
   such that whenever a network interface comes up, Wine
   is told to add the new registry entry.  (Presumably
   Wine should have an SPI or a script or something to
   handle that event.)
   However, on operating systems without that capability,
   Wine should probably have a fallback mode, e.g.
   calling getifaddrs() once a minute to update the
   registry.  Add caching to that for efficiency, maybe,
   who knows (though that comes quite close to the
   magic registry entry you wanted to get away from).
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com