keyboard mapping with XFree86 4.3.0

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Wed Apr 9 08:12:50 CDT 2003

Tim Ruehsen wrote:

>Any idea?
>
>Regards, Tim

I don't know whether it's relevant in this case. XFree 4.3.0 introduced
a total disconnection of the different keyboard groups. If before, the
IL keyboard contained a US keyboard as the first group, and an IL
keyboard as the second group, now I have to define "US,IL" to get the
same effect. This is, on the whole, a good thing (even - a very good
thing). This does mean that the keyboard detection in wine will now only
work if you have your keyboard defined in exactly the same way as the
4.2 keyboards.

I have placed this on my todo list for Wine, but not told anyone so far,
as I am extremely busy, and am unlikely to get to it anytime soon. I was
hoping someone else picks it up before I do (for those who wonder - I am
working on adding Hebrew support to wine, but this quest is causing me
now to rewrite the entire choose font dialog, and will probably cause me
to address the keyboard detection later on as well, due to keyboard
change notification messages).

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh