Support for pkgconfig

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Sun Apr 13 22:45:02 CDT 2003

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dimi at intelliware.ca> writes:

> Many people need to link against very simple DLLs that are simple
> shared libs, no fancy PE features. What we probably need is a tool
> of sorts that export some sort of ELF import libs. That is, given
> a regular PE DLL or a Wine ELF DLL, it exports as much as it can
> into a ELF so library that the program can link to. Of course, the
> program will also have to link with -lwine for it to work.
>
> Does this sound reasonable/workable?

It will be fairly complex, and will probably add a lot of different
constraints, I'm not sure it would really be an improvement over
winebuild. If you want a really transparent solution then it should
most likely be done directly at the linker/ld.so level.

> BTW, I'm not very familiar
> with the various formats (ELF/PE), what would we be missing if
> we are to export to ELF? Resources come to mind, but I think we
> can export some sort of symbol to ELF that our Wine code would
> understand, so they may not be a problem.

They will still be a problem, you'll need to redo the resource
functions to deal with that. Other problems include at least ordinal
exports, separate dll namespaces, and initialization order. Then of
course you have all the binary compatibility problems with module
handles that don't point to the right structures etc.

If you really want to provide a seamless Unix source environment, you
pretty much need to give up on full binary compatibility, and do
something more like what TWIN was doing. But I don't think that's
where we want to go.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com