OLE storage SetFilePointer fix

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Mon Apr 14 14:33:06 CDT 2003

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 12:21:30PM -0400, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Andreas Mohr wrote:
>
> > P.S.: Alexandre, I'd REALLY like you to finally put a patch status
> > tracking system in place. The number of people submitting patches
> > for the second, third, bazillionth time is astonishing (I speak
> > from my very own experience, too!). I really don't know how many very
> > valuable Wine patches got lost due to not getting applied without any
> > status reply whatsoever...
> > (particularly the ones from "foreigners")
> > Someone recently said (in WWN) that patch management was perfect or
> > something to that extent. I better don't comment on that statement,
> > you know my hot temper ;)
> > OK, it's definitely not awful, but I guess it could be better.
>
> First off, I don't think the current system is bad. Second, I was the
> one this in the WWN (so sue me :P). Any system that we would put in
> place would have to work with email just like the current one. Other
> suck big time, see the SF one. Once you notice that, you realize that
> the problem is not the system, but rather that Alexandre needs to reply
> to patches he rejects, wether through email/web based form/what have you.
Ah, it was you!! ;-)

I can imagine that a real patch tracking system might be problematic
in some work overhead aspects, but a lot of people would probably feel
more safe.

> Don't get me wrong -- I've been multiple times at the rejecting end of
> this, and it's frustrating. But in retrospective, it's all for a better
> Wine, and I'd be hard pressed to produce a patch which got rejected by
> Alexandre, and which I still think should be applied.
>
> Also, your assesment that 'very many valuable Wine patches got lost'
> is a gross exageration. In fact, please produce 3 such patches that
> got lost in the last year (heck, in the last 3 years for that matter).
> I think you'll have a hard time finding a single such patch in the
> last X years (choose X as you may) that match your description.
First, let's make sure people know that there's a difference between my
"I really don't know how many very valuable Wine patches got lost"
and what your mail made me say ;-)

Well, I just took Feb. 11 as some random date.
Since that time, I've had 4 out of 9 of my patches rejected.
Since we're speaking of rejecting: I'm sure you know the difference
between iptable's REJECT and DROP target...

I'm not saying that all of my patches are necessarily "valuable",
but this statistic accounts to a rejection rate of about 44%, which is
slightly unacceptable (to put it a bit mildly ;).
Other people seem to also have had some trouble.

BTW, I'm back to wine-devel now, in case you didn't notice ;)

(I went into "overload" mode few months ago and filtered all wine-devel
mails away, due to a pretty busy semester and way too many OSS-related
emails per day)

I'm currently not very involved in Wine development, since I'm currently
busy writing a driver at http://acx100.sf.net
</shameless ad>

Greetings,

Andreas Mohr