Support for pkgconfig

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Mon Apr 14 15:43:30 CDT 2003

On 14 Apr 2003, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> For that, using Wine is a bit overkill; all you need is a PE loader
> and some glue code depending on what dll you are trying to load. You
> are much better off copying a few bits of Wine source into your app
> than trying to make use of the unmodified Wine dlls. That's basically
> the mplayer approach.

But you see, the interface to the DLL may be small enough that
LoadLibrary would do just fine, but most of the time the DLL
itself will need registry support, and so on, and so forth.

If done right, -lwine should not be too bad, in that you should
pay for what you use. Sort of like lazy paging of libraries.
Our big problem is the server, which is rather heavy if you
don't make use of any of its features. But than again, I'd
think the vast majority of useage patterns will require (sooner,
rather than later) more features than a PE loader can provide.
Not to mention the convenience to simply link to wine, rather
than rip code out.

--
Dimi.