Support for pkgconfig

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Mon Apr 14 17:49:16 CDT 2003

Mike Hearn <mike at theoretic.com> writes:

> Perhaps, but for instance the quicktime codecs try and load comctl32
> regardless so mplayer stubs that out and just tries to avoid triggering
> crashes - the whole thing is basically extremely fragile.
>
> Plus there are things for which copy'n'paste isn't appropriate - the guy
> who was playing with Cubase VST plugins in Wine a few months ago for
> instance, VST plugins often require GUI support, registry, directsound
> etc etc.

Just like I said, that's the case where it needs to be a Winelib
app. Whether you build it with winebuild or winewrap or by adding
-lwine is really a cosmetic issue. The only real problem is that
currently it has to be a shared library, which isn't very nice and
will eventually be fixed. But it makes no difference at all, neither
at link time or at run time, whether the app calls only LoadLibrary
and GetProcAddress, or calls 1000 different Windows APIs; you still
need the full infrastructure one way or another.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com