Support for pkgconfig

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Tue Apr 15 07:25:46 CDT 2003

On 15 Apr 2003, Mike Hearn wrote:

> > In fact, once we do Wine 1.0, people may decide to build a desktop
> > environment around it. I think this is very exciting possibility,
> > and I think we can even beat KDE and GNOME despite their big lead.
> > I don't even think it's that much work (we need a panel, a file browser,
> > and a control panel), we will have a lot more apps than they do, and
> > we'll have far better binary compatibility.
>
> Eurgh. My god. Please tell me you're kidding or have been drinking. We
> put so much work into Wine to run the applications, not because we think
> Windows is perfect and should be copied to the last detail. Anyway,
> there is already XPde which is copying XP to the last pixel.

No, I'm not kidding nor drinking. WIND has nothing to do with copying
the XP UI. As I was explaining in my message, we can have our UI look
like BlueCurve or what have you. WIND is all about the API. And yeah,
the Windows API is not perfect, but there's no perfect API. And thing
is, 99% of programmers out there know Win32, not GKT+. And I think the
Win32 API is not that bad that it should be dropped, given the investment
level that the human race has put into it. Quite frankly, I think the
Win32 API si not that bad for UI tasks, it certainly proved to work
OK for so many years. And if you want to talk about ugly, you should
start with GTK, not Wine :) Not to mention the fact that I think our
widgets are better, more polished, and I think more featureful.

But the big thing is that we'll have better binary compatibility than
glibc had, a programming API known to *many* people, and a large set
of apps aldready written. Look at SF, you'll see that the top downloads
are by a huge margin apps that run on Windows.

--
Dimi.