Support for pkgconfig

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Tue Apr 15 11:01:19 CDT 2003

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dimi at intelliware.ca> writes:

> No, I'm not kidding nor drinking. WIND has nothing to do with copying
> the XP UI. As I was explaining in my message, we can have our UI look
> like BlueCurve or what have you. WIND is all about the API. And yeah,
> the Windows API is not perfect, but there's no perfect API. And thing
> is, 99% of programmers out there know Win32, not GKT+. And I think the
> Win32 API is not that bad that it should be dropped, given the investment
> level that the human race has put into it. Quite frankly, I think the
> Win32 API si not that bad for UI tasks, it certainly proved to work
> OK for so many years. And if you want to talk about ugly, you should
> start with GTK, not Wine :) Not to mention the fact that I think our
> widgets are better, more polished, and I think more featureful.

I strongly disagree. The Win32 API may not be so bad in the abstract
(though I'd dispute that too), but it's a very poor choice for a Unix
toolkit. It exposes way too many low-level details that don't have an
equivalent on Unix. If you want a cross platform toolkit you should
use a higher level one that abstracts a lot more of the platform
details; and if you don't care about other platforms then you should
use a Unix native toolkit. I don't think we would be doing anybody a
favor by encouraging the use of Wine for new Linux developments.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com