Palettes - Any experts?

Ann and Jason Edmeades us at the-edmeades.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 15 13:23:52 CDT 2003

>> This RealizePalette call (UserRealizePalette, windows\painting.c) results
in
>> 256 colors being mapped in, and SendMessageA( HWND_BROADCAST,
>> WM_PALETTECHANGED, (WPARAM)hWnd, 0L); to occur. This broadcast hangs
>> attempting to send the message to the first thread as it is in a hung
state
>> waiting for another process to end. Under windows, the RealizePalette
>> returns 0, and spy on Windows does not show this message being sent to
the
>> 'hung' thread.

>The message should probably be sent with SendMessageTimeout with the
>SMTO_ABORTIFHUNG flag. The only problem is that this flag is not
>implemented yet...

Prossibly, and let me guess.. "if the receiving process appears to be in a
"hung" state"
is difficult to determine? (Otherwise, I guess it isnt that difficult to
implement
as the rest of it is all there).

The only reason I hesitate to agree with you is the difference in the
RealizePalette
returns, one (wine) indicating 256 colors had to be changed, the other
(win2k)
indicating none had to be.  Maybe this is a side effect of our x11drv
palette
implementation, but it still is slightly worrying?

Whats the best way to progress this? I can continue plodding by commenting
out the
whole line, so shall I just raise a bug for it?

Jason