Palettes - Any experts?

Ann and Jason Edmeades us at
Tue Apr 15 13:23:52 CDT 2003

>> This RealizePalette call (UserRealizePalette, windows\painting.c) results
>> 256 colors being mapped in, and SendMessageA( HWND_BROADCAST,
>> WM_PALETTECHANGED, (WPARAM)hWnd, 0L); to occur. This broadcast hangs
>> attempting to send the message to the first thread as it is in a hung
>> waiting for another process to end. Under windows, the RealizePalette
>> returns 0, and spy on Windows does not show this message being sent to
>> 'hung' thread.

>The message should probably be sent with SendMessageTimeout with the
>SMTO_ABORTIFHUNG flag. The only problem is that this flag is not
>implemented yet...

Prossibly, and let me guess.. "if the receiving process appears to be in a
"hung" state"
is difficult to determine? (Otherwise, I guess it isnt that difficult to
as the rest of it is all there).

The only reason I hesitate to agree with you is the difference in the
returns, one (wine) indicating 256 colors had to be changed, the other
indicating none had to be.  Maybe this is a side effect of our x11drv
implementation, but it still is slightly worrying?

Whats the best way to progress this? I can continue plodding by commenting
out the
whole line, so shall I just raise a bug for it?