Bug Hunting - uninstaller.exe on Win2K with uninstall information.

Steven Edwards Steven_Ed4153 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 14:32:08 CDT 2003

Hello Everyone,
This bug is a year+ old and I have not done much work on it untill now
as I never could debug the stupid thing. This has always bothered me
because this program should work fine under Win2K if we are compatible
with the registry APIs and such. Does anyone have a idea as to what is
going on?

Here is the info from bug 1395 in bugzilla

When running uninstaller built from Mingw or MS-VC++ 6 under Win2K the
application seems to work and run fine when there is no information in
the uninstall branch of the registry. As soon as a program is registered
and uninstaller is run the program crashes. This has been tested on 3
systems and with many differnt sources and versions of Mingw. When
debugging under MSVC with uninstall information in the registry the
debugger stops at this code.

FetchUninstallInformation()
Line 225/226:
        entries[numentries-1].key =
            HeapAlloc(GetProcessHeap(), 0, strlen(subKeyName)+1);

Entries : Cxx0030: Expression could not be evaluated

I will attach a Visual Stdio build with sources/debugging information
this evening.

Thanks
Steven