rpc exception

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Tue Apr 22 11:55:25 CDT 2003

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:

> True. But we should also ask what benefit we get from those other
> compilers? BTW, what other compilers do people use that don't support
> exceptions? It would be interesting to compile Wine with MS' cl,
> or Borland's bcc. But both support exceptions. The only other compiler
> would be Sun's cc, but Patrik has given up on that one a long time
> ago:

AFAIK Sun's cc works pretty well, Gregg Mattinson did a lot of work to
fix it; not sure if it's 100% but it should be close.

> Also, it seems to me that the benefit of compiling the code with
> other compilers is to get some warnings/errors not generated by
> gcc, but that can be achieved just fine if we stub out the exception
> handling code. Yeah, we may not get a running Wine, but so what?

I don't think we can reasonably require people to make the effort to
write portable code and avoid gcc-isms, while knowing that no other
Unix compiler is ever going to work right anyway. There are a number
of advantages to being portable, there would also be a number of
different advantages to being gcc-specific, but being somewhere in
between is not worth the trouble IMO.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com