rpc exception

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Tue Apr 22 13:02:34 CDT 2003

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dimi at intelliware.ca> writes:

> Well, I certainly agree that there are advantages from being portable.
> That's why I have this sort of portability listed on the Fun page.
> But I also argue that it should not be detrimental to new features.

It's not really new features, we already support exception handling,
and it should work with all compilers. The only thing that doesn't
work is using the Microsoft syntax, but that isn't such a big deal
since that code will ultimately be generated by widl anyway, so we
can make it generate it the way we want.

So I think exception handling by itself is not a sufficient reason for
giving up on portability; but clearly, there are other arguments for
being gcc-specific too, and the sum of these arguments does make a
more convincing case. In fact I think the argument about winegcc and
how it would allow simplifying the build process is more convincing
than the exception macros.

What do the Solaris folks think?  Would having to use gcc be a problem
for you?

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com