New Server?

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Fri Apr 25 08:28:30 CDT 2003

Actually, the old server had enough moxy to handle the load;
it had been through several Slashdottings.  We've got
both the hardware resources and the bandwidth to handle
this just fine.

We just relied on our good luck holding more than we should
have...

It turns out that one of the SCSI drives was slowly
and steadily flaking out, causing all kinds of fun
problems.  And we didn't have the hardware raid
turned on...

So Jer and I had a really fun night last night.
The highlight of which was squeezing the SCSI
drive electronics for 1-2 hours while the data
copied off.

The good news is that the server is now up on a completely
new box with a brand new shiny drive.  The bad news
is that it's still not set up on the proper hardware
raid we mean for it to have.  That's next weeks project...

We're pretty sure that we copied everything properly,
but the drive was really quite flaky towards the end,
and we have found numerous cases of corrupted files.
We're going to go through and test them on a point
by point basis, and restore from tape where necessary,
but please keep an eye out and let us know if you
find issues.

But the server should be solid for the next few days;
except for a brief period next week, when we'll take it down
and put in a proper hardware raid...<grin>.

Cheers,

Jeremy