Mac OS X and Wine troubles

Pierre d'Herbemont stegefin at free.fr
Sun Apr 27 09:19:04 CDT 2003

On Saturday, April 26, 2003, at 11:24 PM, Vincent Béron wrote:

> Le sam 26/04/2003 à 16:16, Pierre d'Herbemont a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> First of all I have a good news :) : Wine is able to build on Mac OS
>> X.
>>
>> We decided not to follow WineHQ cvs version for early build, in order
>> not to be so much disturbed by others wine development and not to
>> produce bad patches, but don't worry ;) we are (of course!) planing to
>> send patches, I hope they would be integrated...
>>
>> I had never use Wine before so sorry for the basic questions.
>> I ran wineinstall, everything goes well until wineinstall attempts to
>> launch regedit. Wine goes wrong, it tells me :
>>
>> Warning: no valid DOS drive found, check your configuration file.
>> Warning: could not find wine config [Drive x] entry for current
>> working
>> directory /Users/steg/Documents/Programmation/wine; starting in
>> windows
>> directory.
>> /Users/steg/Documents/Programmation/wine/miscemu/wine: cannot find
>> './programs/regedit/regedit.exe.so'
>
> Does MacOSX sets $HOME and/or $PWD?

Yes it does...

> Also, from when's your base CVS version? Alexandre commited a patch of
> mine related to exactly this a few days ago.

We were using the version 20030219  of wine...
(see : http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/darwine/wine/)
You may have found what was wrong, thanks ;) I am going to send our
modification to the wine cvs tree.

>> For me the problem comes from somewhere in the reading of the file
>> ~/.wine/config, which exists and is parsed, but maybe I missed
>> something in wine configuration (like a register file or something)?
>> Could someone tell we wether I am wrong or not?
>
> Actually, durin wineinstall, ~/.wine/config is not used. A temporary
> config file is created instead.
>

>> Secondly I manage to copy a windows folder to the root '/' of my disk,
>> so I can launch an app with the command "wine notepad.exe".
>
> You may have problems with this as Wine is not a CPU emulator, so it
> won't know what to do with the binary code in notepad.exe.

Yeah, but in this case notepad.exe has been built for PowerPC, so it
shouldn't be a problem...

>> I added a
>> basic Mach-O (Mac OS X binary file format) compatibility to libwine in
>> order the file type to be recognized. But now I am getting error like:
>>
>> wine: could not load 'C:\windows\regedit.exe': dlcompat: dyld: wine
>> Undefined symbols:
>> _FormatMessageA
>> _RegCloseKey
>> _RegCreateKeyExA
>> _RegDeleteKeyA
>> _RegEnumKeyExA
>> _RegEnumValueA
>> _RegOpenKeyA
>> _RegQueryInfoKeyA
>> _RegSetValueExA
>>
>> I suppose that the problem comes from the fact that the dlls are not
>> loaded before the notepad.exe, assuming that the problem is still
>> related with the ~/.wine/config reading. Do I suppose right?
>
> Have you installed the Wine libs (dlls) so that wine (or the dynamic
> linker) knows where to find them?

I let wineinstall do everything so I assume that they are installed
(/usr/local/lib/wine)...

Thanks a lot,

Pierre