Crash in BeginPaint running Sams Photofact index, a free VB app

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Mon Apr 28 14:44:36 CDT 2003

On April 28, 2003 11:59 am, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > Putting in a test would be even better than simply commenting that the
> > behaviour is known for e.g. Win95; it might point out version differences
> > and certainly will catch when we accidentally break the code.
>
> If we add a test for every micro-detail of the APIs, the test cases
> would probably be larger than Wine itself. I think sanity checking input
> parameters in this way is pretty obvious, for cases where it's not clear
> a comment in the code is probably more useful than another test case.

Sorry but I have to disagree.  "The obvious" is frequently not obvious.  As I
asked before (but in slightly different words), is the Microsoft behaviour to
return this special value when passed a null pointer, or is it to catch a
segv and return the special value?  And does the special value returned vary
between systems?

It seems to me that half of what we are doing in Wine is figuring out the
facts that are not in MSDN but are important.  A test is a good way of
documenting what we discover to be important, in a way that allows us to
check our conformance.

And what's the problem with a large test suite anyway?

--
Bill Medland
ACCPAC International, Inc.
medbi01 at accpac.com