wrong keyboard layout

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Tue Aug 12 06:47:47 CDT 2003

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>"Shachar Shemesh" <wine-devel at shemesh.biz> wrote:
>>>BTW, what wrong happens if your keyboard was misdetected? In the current
>>>CVS all national characters should work fine regardless what keyboard
>>>layout was detected. Is that only a warning message which makes you worry?
>>Does this also apply to UTF-8? I, for one, still can't get any
>>characters recognized when the locale is UTF-8.
>Shachar, Raul, could you apply the attached patch and produce a log
>for me? Run Wine notepad with +x11drv,+key,+keyboard,+event, press
>some offending keys, compress the log and send it directly to me
>with good description what is expected and what you really get.
After some messing around, and kind help from Dimitry, the problem was
that my locale was not set correctly. Setting the locale to en_US.UTF-8
(with the dash, and in upper case) works with both wine and xev. Any
other combination (utf8, UTF8, etc.) works with konsole, openoffice,
kedit, and just about any other program I tested, but not with wine and
xev. You live and you learn, obviously.

There is one thing that still bothers me. When using right-win for group
toggle, I get a "`" printed when switching from group 0 to group 1, and
";" when switching from group 1 to group 0. Otherwise, everything works
fine. This does not happen when other combinations are used to switch
modes (well, both shifts toggle used to drive wine simply mad, I don't
know how things are today, but that also happened with some other

Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant