wrong keyboard layout

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Wed Aug 13 10:53:47 CDT 2003

"Shachar Shemesh" <wine-devel at shemesh.biz> wrote:

> I have asked you this before in private, but I fear I didn't really
> understand the answer. When I ran with an "incorrect" locale setting
> (en_US.utf8 instead of en_US.UTF-8), konsole would display Hebrew
> characters using the UTF-8 encoding. Furthermore, running OpenOffice,
> kedit or Mozilla would also work properly. It appears as if wine and xev
> are the only two applications in the world that would refuse to work
> with those slightly incorrect locales.

Okay I'll repeat: because everything else is using their own toolkits
while xev and Wine talk directly to X Server using raw X11 protocol.
It means that Wine *depends* on the correctly configured XFree86 and
just can't compensate if XFree86 fails to work in the particular locale.

> Can you please explain again how the other applications do this miracle?

I can't speak for other applications, since I simply don't know.

--
Dmitry.