Using Wine for Production Build Processes

Jon Griffiths jon_p_griffiths at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 02:37:44 CDT 2003

Hi Bob,

>  We currently support production build processes using both FreeBSD
<snip>
> We're currently using some in-house tools that drive Visual Studio
> using a COM interface, vs using command-line compilers and nmake.
> Does it make sense to try to run these builds using Wine?

Not unless you have the time to debug and fix the problems you
encounter. This would be a great way to help the project though -
perhaps if you have the time you could experiment and let us know the
results.

For reference, nmake is currently broken under Wine, although the
individual tools (cl.exe, link.exe lib.exe etc) all work fine (under
linux/x86).

An alternative approach, if you _really_ want to eliminate native
Windows from the build process, would be to use gmake to run the
native tools directly (e.g. CC = cl.exe /nologo). gmake supports more
features than nmake and could probably handle the complexities of
your build, unless you do something particularly funky with your
build. This would mean writing makefiles for your project(s) and
abandoning your in house tools.

Hope this helps,
Jon

=====
"Don't wait for the seas to part, or messiahs to come;
 Don't you sit around and waste this chance..." - Live

jon_p_griffiths at yahoo.com