export variables in dlls

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Mon Aug 18 07:24:49 CDT 2003

On August 18, 2003 05:12 am, Martin Wilck wrote:

> This means that, with the introduction of .def files in wine, porting
> software (especially C++) with winelib has become considerably more
> troublesome than before. Whatever we think about dllexport, it is widely
> used by Windows programmers.

I know, it is unfortunate, but without compiler support, there is little
we can do I'm afraid. If anyone has any ideas on how we can work around
this, I'm all ears...

> binutils with PE support can be used to extract a .def file with all
> symbols from an object file right now. Unfortunately, binutils on most
> standard Linux distributions do not support PE. But it may be acceptable
> to demand that winelib developers recompile their binutils.

That's what I've been thinking about too. Maybe it's time to try to
convince various distributions to include PE support by default...

> Btw Dimi, is their any specific reason why winewrap/winegcc are written
> in C rather than in some scripting language like bash or perl? I'd think
> that winewrap/winegcc scripts would be much easier to maintain and
> customize than the current C code, and would actually be the adequate
> tool for the job.

First, I don't know perl, so that was not an option. As for bash, the
kind of argument manipulations we're doing are not easily achieved in
bash, and it seemed it would have been cleaner to do it in C. I still
stand by this opinion. Moreover, it seems that C is way more prefered
(on average) than scripting languages,  and in fact it's a better way
of inviting contributions. See the latest attempt to use Perl for our
conformance tests...

--
Dimi.