export variables in dlls

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Aug 21 23:10:04 CDT 2003

On August 21, 2003 05:08 pm, Martin Wilck wrote:
> You challenged me :-) really, shell coding is one of my favorites.

This is very nice Martin, I'll grant you that. However I'm afraid I'm not
sold. And I'm saying this without any emotional attachment to my code :).
But let me explain why:
  -- I think we're ending up raising the bar rather than lowering it.
     For most developers, winegcc.c is a tiny C program they can easily
     understand and modify. For the same group, yours is a non-trivial
     script.
  -- winegcc.c is portable and will run without problems on all systems,
     even on Windows. On the other hand, for scripts of this size it's
     very easy to add features that will break on some implementations,
     or that are bash specific. Moreover, we don't find out about them
     until a user tries to run the program, at runtime.
  -- the result is not smaller. Some things are cleaner, true, but I
     don't think the .c program was that unreadable :)
  -- last, but not least, the thing is for sure slower. Maybe not by
     much, but I think it's measurable, once we compile Wine with
     winegcc.

I, for one, am more confortable with the C semantics, rather than sh.
I can right sh scripts, but I'm not in my element doing non trivial
stuff (or maybe I'm more confortable in C :)).

Anyway, just my .02$ -- I guess it's Alexandre's call.

--
Dimi.