Porting to OpenBSD 3.4-beta

Dan Brosemer odin at cleannorth.org
Sun Aug 24 19:54:00 CDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 04:00:08PM -0700, Dustin Navea wrote:
> --- Dan Brosemer <odin at cleannorth.org> wrote:
> > I have been trying to port Wine, WineX, or ReWind to OpenBSD 3.4-beta for
> > the past week.  I've made the most progress with ReWind, so that is what
> > this post will focus on.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt we change the build process so that the
> dll's are built as (i.e.) libntdll.DLL.so?  If that is true, I'm not sure,
> but could that have anything to do with it?

I think that's the case with both the main-tree Wine and WineX, but not
ReWind.  I'm quite sure I've found my problem and it lies with OpenBSD's
ld.so, not with anything I've done compiling Wine.  Quite simply, the .init
and .fini sections don't appear to be executed when a shared library is
loaded with dlopen.

I've posted on tech at openbsd.org about it and received a few private replies
confirming that observation and saying Wine isn't the only software that
misbehaves because of this, so I think I'm on the right track.

Of course, that may not be the only issue (it certainly wasn't the first) so
we'll see if I get bit by anything else once I get my ld.so working the way
I need it to.

Thanks.
-Dan

--