Linux Question?

thunderbird2k at gmx.net thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Mon Aug 25 04:02:29 CDT 2003

Hi,

It sounds like you want to modify Wine to make it run x86 windows apps on
Macs?
If that's the case I would look at projects that are already working on this
and to help them.

One of the projects is called darwine (darwine.sf.net). At the moment they
already have winelib working on OSX and soon they like to integrate an x86
emulator. Recently there was a whole discussion about this all which I'd
recommend to look up in the wine devel archives. (something with x86 emulator in the
topic) Various Wine developers think that integrating an x86 emulator in
Wine isn't the best solution. Lots of things need to be converted (endian stuff
..).

Another possibility is not to integrate an x86 emulator into Wine but to run
Wine inside an efficient x86 emulator like Qemu. Currently qemu
(fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu) can run x86 linux apps on various non-x86 linuxes and
another part of it can emulate a full system. The app loader already runs Wine
and if the app loader got ported to OSX, Wine would work on it. With some
optimizations it can work at a reasonable speed. This option is a lot easier to
do. It also has other advantages but read those up in the archives. (Something
like this is also what Transgaming is/will be using to run x86 apps on
non-x86 hardware. They use technology from www.transitive.com to do this.)

I hope this helps a bit,

Roderick