[resend] Allow use of MAP_TRYFIXED for better mmap()

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Wed Aug 27 17:30:22 CDT 2003

Todd Vierling <tv at pobox.com> writes:

> No, it implies that a built binary requires a kernel at least as new as the
> .h files used when building.  This is NetBSD (and SysV and ...) standard
> practice, and is the foundation of how autoconf tests work.
>
> The common practice of Linux users shuffling back and forth on kernel
> versions is a glaring exception to this common-sense rule.  8-)

It's not really a question of shuffling back and forth, it's that
different users have different kernels; so if you want to ship a
binary that works for everybody, with your method you have to stick to
the lowest common denominator. With run-time checks you can have a
binary that takes advantage of new kernel features, while still
running everywhere. Obviously it's a bit more complex to implement, so
you only want to do that where there's a real gain in using the new
features; still I think the concept applies for all platforms.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com