Wine 0.9 progress

Dustin Navea speeddymon at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 29 19:36:44 CDT 2003

--- Vincent Béron <vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca> wrote:
> Le ven 29/08/2003 à 20:13, Dustin Navea a écrit :
> > so without the xp server flavors and all the 2k3 flavors, we have 16..
> even
> > if we simplify to nt4, and 2k, its still a dozen like you originally
> said,
> > although if you take out the osr's then it would be 8, but there are a
> couple
> > of service packs and osr's and things of that nature that im sure changed
> > some things that would affect the conformance test suite..  either way,
> we
> > need to have 16 people for at least the first run (or a few people with
> > multiple os's on their comps) to find out which service packs and which
> > flavours of the nt based windows' actually have changed things, to where
> we
> > would need to continue to run a test on those specific service packs,
> etc..
> > confused yet?
>
> I follow. The problem with this is we'll need the 16 for longer than
> only the initial run, as not all API have a conformance test yet. If
> it's not tested, we don't know if it changed or not.

Good Point, I did not realize that we didnt have tests for all API's yet..

> > say nt4's sp3 and sp6 changed some stuff that would affect the results of
> the
> > conformance tests.  we would do the first run on all nt service packs
> > (finding them all would be another story, though).  then we would
> discover
> > that nt4 reg, sp3, and sp6 gave different results on the tests, so we
> would
> > run subsequent tests on only those 3, thereby eliminating about 7 other
> tests
> > (sp1, 2, 3a, 4, 5, 6a, etc)
>
> Overkill. Wine advertises NT4 SP6 only, not the other SPs. Same thing
> for each major version, only one SP match. So there's little point in
> conforming to something not supported by Wine, as it's been superceded.
> Future SPs will be tested as a "new" version, and if conformance tests
> fails on them, then it'll be fixing time (conformance test, plus Wine if
> applicable).

Oh yea, I completely forgot that it only advertises the most recent SP for
each major version..  Although I am kind of curious why wine advertises SP6
and not SP6a for NT4, as there are some apps (non-MS ones, but its been so
long since I have used NT that I have forgotten which ones) that require that
SP6a be the version run (or in this case advertised, because of serious bugs
in SP6) in order for them to even install, let alone be run..

=====
--
Dustin Navea

Minor Contributor, http://www.winehq.com
Bugzilla Janitor, http://bugs.winehq.com
Network Admin, irc://irc.blynk.net (down)