Question about libwine_unicode functions and others in WINE

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 19:23:59 CST 2003

--- "Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> wrote:
> On December 1, 2003 02:44 pm, Eric Pouech wrote:
> > That would be doable yes (at least in kernel32). In other DLLs,
> it's
> > more arguable, especially if we want to test them on non NT
> systems.
>
> Agreed, I see no need to make our DLLs depend on ntdll. And I don't
> understand why you guys need to change the source for such a trivial
> (and useless) 'optimization'. Even within kernel32 I'd still use
> the Heap*() functions for consistency, no need to confuse people...

Sorry for making the noise about this. I am just trying to make porting
code from WINE to ReactOS as idiot proof as possible. I really dont
want to confuse people. The Heap* stuff I have figured out and that was
a ReactOS problem that I am going to fix tongiht.

We have fixed the dependancy on libwine by implementing the WINE debug
macros TRACE, ERR, etc on top of ReactOS DPRINT and DPRINT1 and then by
making the wine debugchannel support a small static lib. Its still
going to be called libwine to keep things as ID10T proff as possible.
All FIXME messages are implemented as DPRINT1 so we will always see
them. If someone needs more debug information then we can rebuild the
WINE dlls under ReactOS with DBG = 1 in the reactos/config then you
will get TRACE, ERR and WARN messages for that module also.

Now there is the issue of libwine_unicode.dll. I really dont think we
need this in ReactOS the same way WINE does. We already have a few
static libs for some of the Rtl* and string function so maybe I just
need to implement this there. The recent CompareString changes in
shlwapi and lbwine_uni got me thinking about it as ntdll also
implements RtlCompareString.

Anyway I am just looking for suggestions on how to make porting/sharing
this code simpler. We have most of the ground work laid and its mainly
just cleanup now. Once these changes are implemented, more ReactOS
developers will be able to start working on the port.

I am working on setting up one of my servers with a cross-compiler and
the needed hacksed sources so I can still make bledding edge snapshots
of Winehq CVS avaliable to anyone that wants to play with the latest
Wine on Windows or ReactOS.

Thanks
Steven