WineX 3.2

Gavriel State gav at
Tue Dec 2 19:06:48 CST 2003

Ivan Leo Murray-Smith wrote:
> My free RPMs can't hurt Transgaming. For a start, on my winex page, I have a
> complete list of the features that only the commercial version has, and an
> invitation to subscribe to Transgaming if you want those extra features. As the
> freeware version doesn't include installshield, lots of games won't even install
> with the freeware version, for a start max payne. Also, even if a game does
> work, it won't run full screen,  so if a users has lots of games that work with
> the free version, but wants them to run full screen, he'll probably go to the
> transgaming store. For all these reasons, I don't think my free RPMs are a
> financial threat to Transgaming in any way. Transgaming has taken a lot from Wine
> (Well it wouldn't have much to sell without wine), and I don't think there is
> anything wrong if someone takes something back. I think Transgaming should worry
> about those web sites that distribute the full commercial version of WineX, you
> just have to look for winex 3.2 download free on google , I reported this to
> Transgaming many months ago, and they still haven't taken any action.

Nothing stops users of your packages from running a game in full screen mode -
that's controlled by the 'Desktop' setting in the wine config file.

As for bittorrent, yes, both TransGaming's and CodeWeavers' products are available
through bittorrent.  As far as I understand things though, there's very little
that can be done about that, since bittorrent is a peer-to-peer system where no
one user has all parts of a given file, and everything is encrypted anyways.

Where we've been able to identify other places where our subscriber-only packages
(which contain pieces that we can't give others a license to redistribute) have
been made available for download, we've certainly tried to put a stop to it.

Regardless, all I'm saying here is 'Please, don't do that'.  It's up to you
if you want to follow that or not.

Take care,

Gavriel State
TransGaming Technologies Inc.