debugger problems

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Wed Dec 3 13:38:36 CST 2003

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 12:57 pm, Eric Pouech wrote:
> > poking around I find that the for loop in DEBUG_RegisterStabsDebugInfo
> > (in programs/winedbg/msc.c) never finds the .stab or .stabstr sections...
> > not sure if they are really there or not.  For example, for ntdll, it
> > finds only .data and .text....  Not sure what's really wrong here; for
> > now, it's my bedtime :P
>
> do you mean the one in msc.c or the one in stabs.c ?
> the one in msc.c is only used to support PE modules when compiled under
> mingw. The one you're interested in is in stabs.c (it's for ELF modules).
> A+

aha!  Well, I'm afraid I definitely was messing with msc.c (what you say makes
perfect sense, I had wondered why stabs stuff was there (I guess for mingw as
you mention)).  Armed with this info I'll take another look.  For presumably
transient reasons which I don't quite fathom, my gdb won't debug wine right
now either... so I'm simply using creative TRACE's for now... yuck.

I had followed ctags from DEBUG_LoadModule32 in module.c into msc.c... I
guess, instead, I should be looking at the path:

  winedbg.c:DEBUG_HandleDebugEvent ->
    stabs.c:DEBUG_ReadExecutableDbgInfo

?

Thanks for your help.

--
gmt

"It is to be the assent and ratification of the several States,
derived from the supreme authority in each State, the authority
of the people themselves.  The act, therefore, establishing the
Constitution, will not be a NATIONAL, but a FEDERAL act." --James
Madison, Federalist No. 39