Status of InstallShield-Setup Engine

Andreas Rosenberg sonix2003 at ctf-z.de
Thu Dec 4 12:20:41 CST 2003

Hi!

I'm new to this list. The company I'm working for, is developing
software for Windows and as a personal Linux fan I was testing
our software with Wine from time to time. The last tries (several
month ago) were still pretting bad, but with the Wine from Suse 9.0
(snapshot from August 2003)
there were only "trivial" errors (mostly conformance) which we were
able to circumwent in our software. I tracked all problems and reported
them als bugs: (1844, 1845, 1847, 1848) together with a patch for two of
them.

b.t.w I'm using a different eMail account with this mailing list as with
the Wine Bugzilla.

We have a customer, who already asked for a version of our software
being able to run on Linux.
What's seems to be a big problem, is the InstallShield Setup Engine
we are using (like many others).
A played around with it and it crashed in different ways. I looked
into the bug list and found the rather old "meta bug" #170.
Unfortunately the link inside is broken.

Perhaps we can contribute in making the InstallShield Setup Engine
work. Has anybody tracked what's causing the problem? I read
about "global window handles", but this didn't gave me the right
clue. Is it related with the API call FindWindow? Is the IS Setup Engine
using multiple processes and trying to communicate via window messages or DDE?

If anybody could point me in the right direction, this would be great.
Otherwise it would be a waste of resources to debug/search stuff others
already did.

Regards

  Andy