Using Wine to isolate a bug in OLE2 files from Gnumeric

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Wed Dec 10 13:36:45 CST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 08:10, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> Hello, I maintain Gnumeric and have run into a problems when writing
> xls files larger than 13-14 meg.  MS excel can read them, but
> promptly corrupts them.  I had hoped this was a windows bug, but
> just in case I installed an older copy of cross over office with
> office 2k.   That combination produced exactly the same sort of
> corruption.  That is likely good news to wine developers, your
> emulation is excellent.  It also means that the problem is clearly
> on my end.

Be very careful here - if I recall correctly CrossOver uses Microsofts
OLE implementation, not ours. I'd check in the config file that Excel is
definately using native ole32, oleaut32, and rpcrt4 before coming to any
conclusions about where the bugs lie.

I assume Excel can write files >14mb and read them back again fine yes?

thanks -mike