multi-level subdirs under dlls/

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Dec 11 00:17:08 CST 2003

Hi folks,

I know people are concerned right now with more important
matters, but given that (1) we're cleaning up the tree, and
(2) we're getting close to 0.9, I figured it maybe time to
bring this up. Namely,  under dlls/ we have by and large a
flat structure, with the exception of a few 'special' cases
(there's always have to be special cases :/). I find this
rather upsetting, for the following reasons:
  -- the organization is confusing since it implies some
     sort of dependency that's not there (they are all .dlls)
  -- it makes grepping so much more difficult. Instead of the
     simple:
	grep BLAH dlls/*/*.[ch]
     we need to resort to find, etc.
  -- it makes scripts in general needlessly complicated
  -- it hides those parts in the depth of tree
  -- it is inconsistent with the rest of our DLLs

Now, I know that this is mainly historical, but why not fix it?
Yeah, we're going to loose a bit of CVS history, but not quite,
because the move can mark that so in the log. So we're only
making 'cvs log' on a few files a bit more complicated, but we're
simplifying every day operation by so much. I think it's a clear
win. Here is the list of the offending DLLs:

ddraw/d3ddevice
ddraw/dclipper
ddraw/ddraw
ddraw/direct3d