Delayed debug tracing

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sat Dec 13 14:43:04 CST 2003

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 08:13:54PM +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 19:56, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> > Just the opposite, a wrapper script is much cleaner than adding some
> > special handling deep in the Wine core. That way you can define the
> > policy you want (switching on a key press, after a delay, after a
> > certain function is called, etc.) instead of having the Wine core
> > impose its own.
>
> Only at a great loss of efficiency though. The tradeoff that my patch
> makes is flexibility for performance - if you are redirecting wines
> output through wrapper programs and scripts then you have the overhead
> at least of the IPC, and maybe also text parsing. Simply enabling relay
> gives a huge speed hit even when not logging things, the last thing
> wanted is even more overhead.
I have to admit that I also don't quite understand why one would want to
implement it externally, due to the massive slowness.
One would mainly think of disabling tracing in case of complex programs
with huge log files (and which would "conveniently" also take ages to load
during relay for the same reason).
(with small programs one would most likely say "screw it" and log it fully
anyway)

Blowing it through yet another script would probably slow it down by another
20% or so.

> By the way, does anybody know what 0xeedfade is? The Delphi VCL appears
> to translate it to EInOutError, but that doesn't tell me much about the
> underlying Win32 meaning.
Isn't 0xeedfade just the usual "strange" marker for some weird things in
Wine? A grep ought to help here...

Andreas Mohr