Allocating too much memory for prelink workaround

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Sun Dec 14 14:30:30 CST 2003

Le sam 13/12/2003 à 15:21, Alexandre Julliard a écrit :
> Vincent Béron <vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca> writes:
>
> > Would it be possible to just have a dummy executable which allocates the
> > 256MB chunk of memory from 11/22, linked to the same libs as the main
> > wine-{k,p}thread, but having that executable not actually used?
>
> I don't see how, if the executable isn't used it won't do any
> good. What we need is a way to reserve the memory but not the swap
> space; but I don't think we can do that simply with a bss hack, it
> will require a linker script which is a major pain.

What I was thinking about is to get prelink to not map some addresses in
it's cron run, because they're already used by an executable. Even if
that executable is not the one being used, if it's present on the
system, it should exclude our needed memory locations from being
assigned by prelink.

Else, maybe mapping ourselves some memory at some different places,
without using all memory between mappings, would work without actually
reserving some big amount of memory/swap space. Of course, if there's a
hole in the mappings and a .so is mapped right in the middle we still
have a problem...

On a sidenote, I have some problems getting ldd
/usr/bin/wine-{p,k]thread to run on Fedora. Anybody else have this
problem (Mike?)?

Vincent