default config file creation

Chris Morgan cmorgan at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Dec 16 20:39:33 CST 2003

I was chatting with Rudolf Kastl(che on #winehq) and he was mentioning the
things that he was doing for the rpm package.  One of the patches he applies
to wine prior to packaging it is a patch that creates local user config files
if they don't exist.  This helps end users as they don't have to worry about
the package maintainer providing valid config files.  I thought this sounded
like a pretty neat idea to improve usability.  The patch currently copies
files from /etc/* which means they would need to be installed there during
the process.

I was wondering if it would make more sense during the compile process to take
the default configuration files, config, system.reg, user.reg and userdef.reg
and convert these to binary form and compile them into the wine binary
itself.  We could detect the lack of these files at startup and install them
for the user.

Another feature could be a command line switch that would rebuild a users
config, like:

'wine --rebuild-config'

that would reset the users config back to the defaults.

Sound like something reasonable?  Should we instead be putting the default
files somewhere on the users machine and copying them over like the patch
does?

Chris