Allow direct device access ( cdrom, floppy)

Hans Verkuil hverkuil at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 20 13:34:47 CST 2003

Hello Uwe,

Uwe Bonnes wrote:

> appended patch opens the devicefile connected to a drive as connected by
> the user in ~/.wine/config [Drive X] "Device" = "/dev/yyy".
> The appropriate action on that file ( read, write, set_file_pointer, ...)
> succeed according the the righte the user has on that device.
>
> That way, I am able to open a unencrypted DVD  with  "DVD Shrink", inspect
> the structure and watch the movie, without mounting the DVD. ( For
> encryted DVD, I have on my disk the needed translation of the
> DeviceIOControls).

Thank you for your patch! I was also looking into it when a google search
turned up your message on the newsgroup. Are you planning to make a patch
for the DeviceIOControls? I've added them myself in order to allow DVD
Shrink to use encrypted DVDs. As the implementation is just passing on the
DeviceIOControl calls to linux ioctls I wonder why you haven't submitted a
patch for this. If you have no plans for creating a patch, then I'm willing
to do so.

Let me know what you intend to do,

Regards,

                Hans Verkuil