Allow direct device access ( cdrom, floppy)

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Dec 20 14:51:20 CST 2003

    Hans> Hello Uwe, Uwe Bonnes wrote:

    >> appended patch opens the devicefile connected to a drive as connected
    >> by the user in ~/.wine/config [Drive X] "Device" = "/dev/yyy".  The
    >> appropriate action on that file ( read, write, set_file_pointer, ...)
    >> succeed according the the righte the user has on that device.
    >>
    >> That way, I am able to open a unencrypted DVD with "DVD Shrink",
    >> inspect the structure and watch the movie, without mounting the
    >> DVD. ( For encryted DVD, I have on my disk the needed translation of
    >> the DeviceIOControls).

    Hans> Thank you for your patch! I was also looking into it when a google
    Hans> search turned up your message on the newsgroup. Are you planning
    Hans> to make a patch for the DeviceIOControls? I've added them myself
    Hans> in order to allow DVD Shrink to use encrypted DVDs. As the
    Hans> implementation is just passing on the DeviceIOControl calls to
    Hans> linux ioctls I wonder why you haven't submitted a patch for
    Hans> this. If you have no plans for creating a patch, then I'm willing
    Hans> to do so.

    Hans> Let me know what you intend to do,

I patched dll/ntdll/cdrom.c in a quick and dirty way. To get it included  I
wanted to take one step after another. First the basis for the direct file
IO must be approved by Alexandre,

I have appended my ntdll/cdrom.c. It probably need some cleanup for the
IOCTLs for other systems then Linux. Feel free to use my approach, but I
guess your approach may look very similar...

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de