Easy IE installer script

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Tue Dec 23 14:00:20 CST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 19:48, Ivan Leo Murray-Smith wrote:
> You can't redistribute them, unless you have some sort of special license from
> m$. There is a simple trick to get round this.

Why do you say that? I'd like to see the legal text that says they are
not redistributable, as they are intended to be shipped alongside
applications and can be freely downloaded from the net (ie the situation
is no different to the current one).

> I suppose it would be a good thing to warn the user that
> he must have a windows license to use IE4,5 or 6.

Yes, I intend to put a notice to that effect in a future version.

> >Do people think this should be linked to from WineHQ?
> Not as it is now, M$ could sue for copyright violation, it wouldn't be a nice
> experience.

Maybe, but they'd have to sue me. Given that there are people running
websites that ship practically every DLL on a windows system, that would
not make much sense. They'd also have a hard time arguing that the MSVC
Runtime is not meant to be redistributed when many apps do so.