Started playing with Wineserver on mingw/cygwin again

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Sat Feb 1 01:10:14 CST 2003

Steven Edwards wrote:

>well I made it serial.c before I had to run to work. I'm having good luck getting alot of the
>objects to compile so far I've only had to kill file.c, ptrace.c, request.c and select.c. Getting
>this to build and run on Windows is going to be a bitch =) gettimeofday, fork and all of fd and
>networking is going to be the hard part. I've started a tempory header to see what will need to be
>implemented in libwine if we want to get wineserver up and running on Windows without cygwin.
>
>Cygwin still really needed get/setthreadcontext (hint, hint)

OK, as far as I understand it this means we need to implement a cygwin
version of get_thread_context
and set_thread_context in server/context_i386.c.
What I'm not sure about is, when running wineserver on cygwin, would the
threads created in Wine have
a one-to-one correspondence to Windows threads? Or would they be
strange, different, unix-style threads
which cygwin then maps down to Windows threads?
Could we go straight down to the underlying win32 api and do a
GetThreadContext there? Is that cheating?

David