"Error: File table full" in VB app

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Feb 1 03:56:48 CST 2003

Dan Kegel wrote:
> The next buglet in the property management VB app from http://www.yardi.com
> is right after I pick the datafile to open, it pops up
> with a dialog box titled "Database Exception",
> contents "Error: File table full.  Op: Open.  File: BANK.DAT [86:0:21]"
>
> Now, what file table might that be?

D'oh.  It's Btrieve's file table.  That's Btrieve error #86.
(Notice the reference to the BTRVERR filename in the log;
that's where the "File table full" message comes from.)
Looking around on the web for that message, the corrective
action is supposedly "The Btrieve file table is full. Use the
Setup utility to specify a higher value in the Open Files option."

Um, setup utility?  Ok... hmm... got it!  The BTRIEVE6 subdirectory
of the product has an app called W32MKSET.EXE that indeed
lets you set the file table size!  It has some UI glitches under
Wine, but it works just well enough to let you set that parameter.

Now Yardi has some other problem, but hey, I learned something!
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com