How to remount CDROM during program execution?

Scott Jackson scott_j at ajackson.org
Sun Feb 2 19:47:25 CST 2003

Well, I can tell you the problem..
I don't know the solution, but:
under windows, the devices are set up differently. basically the concept is that it mounts a disk when it is accessed and unmounts it when it is done. therefore when you read a floppy or a cd and it's taking bloody forever that's because it's doing:
mount cdrom
acces file
unmount cdrom
mount cdrom
access file
and so on...
it actually may not look like this, but I think it did at the early beginnings.
obviously wine can't do that because it would take bloody forever to read the cd or floppy, so (and this is unconfirmed) wine probably ignores unmount requests.
so under windows, you aren't using the CD, therefore it's unmounted, therefore it can be ejected.
under linux, wine ignores unmount requests, the disk stays mounted and you can't eject it without having something die or kernel panic or something :-P.

Anyway, that's the situation. Solution? I dunno.

--
"De-fault!  The two sweetest words in the English language."
                -- Homer Simpson

Get Gaim for unix or win32 systems! gaim.sourceforge.net
Scott "Action" Jackson - scott_j at ajackson.org