Unhandled exception: privileged instruction in 16-bit code

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Feb 3 01:48:19 CST 2003

Max wrote:
> Installing an app (Autocad 2000), which has an InstallShield installer, all
> goes good up to end of file copying, an then an access violation appears :
>
> Unhandled exception: privileged instruction in 16-bit code (0417:09b7).
> In 16-bit mode.
> 0x0417:0x09b7: ldsw     0x014a,%dx
> A trace with --debugmsg +relay leads to following : ...
> 080ce9a8:Call USER.111: SENDMESSAGE(ffff,c010,0000,00000000) ret=0417:0250 ...
> 080ce9a8:Ret  USER.111: SENDMESSAGE() retval=00000001 ret=0417:0250 ds=041f
> wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...

Did the Autocad app go on to work, or was the install failure
significant?

That's exactly the crash I just posted about in this thread:
http://www.winehq.com/hypermail/wine-devel/2003/02/0027.html
(Well, ok, the segment number's a bit different, but otherwise
it looks identical.)

It appears to be a crash in _ISDEL.EXE, which Installshield
runs at or near the end of setup to delete temporary files.
I spent some quality time tonight with the Wine debugger;
I was able to set breakpoints and get fairly close to
where the crash actually happened.  If anyone wants to
reproduce this, and watch the crash happen in winedbg,
let me know and I'll scrape together a recipe; I'd also
be happy to provide a +all log from the point of that SENDMESSAGE
onward if anyone's interested.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel