Started playing with Wineserver on mingw/cygwin again

Geoff Thorpe geoff at geoffthorpe.net
Wed Feb 5 12:30:17 CST 2003

* Dan Kegel (dank at kegel.com) wrote:
> Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> >On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> >>
> >>No, Redhat Phoebe is affected already (is that 8.1?). Shipping soon.
> >
> >Duh! So what will it happen -- Wine will not run on RH 8.1?!?
>
> That's right.  This is a top priority worry of mine.
> It's so bad that I was considering working on it myself,
> since nobody else seemed to be worried.

I am worried also and, though I have yet to throw myself into wine
internals even *once*, I am also willing to give whatever I can to this
effort. I use Wine from time to time, but more than anything else I have
been watching its progress from the sidelines for potential future uses
and also a "feeling" of how it is a key OSS project worth keeping an eye
on.

What disturbs me most about this pthread/glibc issue is the (apparent)
impunity with which the glibc maintainer has just barged ahead with this
disruptive change with (again, apparently) little concern for the
fallout it would cause. Wine is important to anyone who cares about the
ongoing political dynamics of the open source software cause, and one
could be forgiven for assuming the glibc folks themselves would fall
into this category?! IMHO the glibc maintainer should have been circling
wagons before this problem came to a head - and wine is certainly one of
the wagons to get priority circling.[1]

Now if I've been wrong and the fault here is on the wine development
project (or Codeweavers, Transgaming, etc) for not planning sufficiently
ahead, then please point me to archives of the appropriate threads (pun
half-intended) and the glibc maintainer can have my apologies in
advance.

Dan - if you want to co-ordinate this and are willing to accommodate my
coming to grips with the wine specifics (have you ever contemplated a
less precise request for help? :-), please get in touch via private
email and I'll do what I can to contribute, investigate, research, hack,
whatever.

Regards,
Geoff

[1] For that matter, has anyone attempted to pull this person into the
wine discussion to help flesh this out and find the optimal way forward?
Surely any self-respecting (L)GPLer would hate to see a major tool for
open source advancement getting hurt over this without so much as some
constructive help?

--
Geoff Thorpe
geoff at geoffthorpe.net