Started playing with Wineserver on mingw/cygwin again

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Feb 5 20:53:34 CST 2003

Geoff Thorpe wrote:
> What disturbs me most about this pthread/glibc issue is the (apparent)
> impunity with which the glibc maintainer has just barged ahead with this
> disruptive change with (again, apparently) little concern for the
> fallout it would cause.

I agree the glibc maintainer is headstrong, but in this case
he is right.  Linux's pthread support needed improving, and
the improvements required fundamental changes.  I suspect
that even if he had gone with ngpt instead of his own nptl,
Wine would have suffered similar disruptions.

See http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html#threaded for a little background.

In short, my opinion is Wine really should just roll with the
punches here.  We'll benefit, too, in the end.

> Dan - if you want to co-ordinate this and are willing to accommodate my
> coming to grips with the wine specifics (have you ever contemplated a
> less precise request for help? :-), please get in touch via private
> email and I'll do what I can to contribute, investigate, research, hack,
> whatever.

If I get into this, I'll post on the list.  I may not be the right
person to coordinate it, since my time is limited, but I'll
certainly help according to my abilities.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com