PATCH: Get rid of superfluous dup() and close() calls.

Martin Wilck Martin.Wilck at Fujitsu-Siemens.com
Thu Feb 6 03:49:17 CST 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-03, I wrote:

> Why is that relevant to Wine? 99% of the Wine code uses DOS/Windows
> functions like WriteFile() anyway. All we need to do is make sure that
> these functions handle the Unix fd's properly (and they will if they
> don't call close()).

What's up, people? I think at least I deserve an answer to this
argument. Or is everybody just too busy?

I am not going to give up easily on this one, because I still think it's
the right thing to do. If anybody is worried about regressions or the
risk of future close() calls, I am willing to care for that.

As for the risk of someone inadvertently close()ing an fd and someone
else writing to it, how about something like this:

static inline int wine_close_unix_fd (int fd) { return close (fd); }
#define close(fd) ERROR --- please dont call close() in Wine !!

in the Wine headers, and changing close() to wine_close_unix_fd()
wherever the close() is found to be legitimate?

Martin

--
Martin Wilck                Phone: +49 5251 8 15113
Fujitsu Siemens Computers   Fax:   +49 5251 8 20409