PATCH: Get rid of superfluous dup() and close() calls.

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Thu Feb 6 16:50:09 CST 2003

Hi Martin,

OK, what happens if one thread closes an FD in the middle of another
thread's read operation (that might take multiple accesses to an FD)?  I
think that's unlikely, but that seems to me to be what the dup/close
business is all about.

It might be that the previous dup/close code had some similar bugs in
it, but it handles the above problem in a well known way.

Another way to solve the problem would be to enter a critical section
instead of dup'ing a handle, but that also has a cost, and somebody will
forget to leave the critical section somewhere in the code...

Mike